[wisb] Re: Killers of Whooping Crane in Indiana receive probation, $1 fine

  • From: "Kevin Kearns" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Birdchat'" <BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:17:23 -0500

I understand not wanting to ruin a young persons life over an incident such
as this. But there are many considerations that were completely ignored by
the prosecutor in this case. Foremost is the simple fact that many studies
have shown that violence towards animals as a youth often leads to greater
violence in their future. An excellent study is here:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/188677.pdf
Again, prison time should not have been the result although these people
were out shooting anything that moved it sounds like and disregarding nearly
every law that legal hunters know and willingly follow (shooting from the
road for one). A hefty fine coupled with community service should have been
mandated here as well as several years of probation, gun safety courses and
good swift kick in the behind. I am also concerned with the lack of concern
apparently shown by the prosecutors for the feds who should have been all
over this. The blurb makes no real mention of specific case details and why
decisions were made, but given money poured into reintroducing Whooping
cranes, it makes no sense why this case was basically ignored.

Anyway, I am sure that most of us felt the same when we read it, just needed
to vent a little.

Kevin Kearns
Lake Mills where so far today it has snowed rained thundered blown and
hailed