[wisb] Dreaming

  • From: "Cutright.Noel" <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:00:05 -0500

Sitting here in westcentral Ozaukee Co. watching the birds mob the
feeders with ~2" of snow on the ground and listening to the loud thunder
sleet/snow, my thoughts turn toward the upcoming breeding bird season.
My mind is filled with thinking about what I hope to be an exciting week
working on Ohio's final year of Atlas 2 with a couple of good friends in
mid-June and wondering if I can also make it to CO to work on their
final year of Atlas 2.

My thoughts then turned to our neighbors to the south and I've caught up
on some changes they are noticing in their state's breeding birds.
IL added 3 new breeding species in 2009 -
1. American White Pelican on a Mississippi River island across from
where they bred in IA in 2006 (IA's 1st state record).  The IL colony
grew to 100 nests in 2010 and the IA colony fledged about 400 in 2009.
2. A few Anhingas bred along the Cache River (Johnson Co.) in 2009 and
2010.
3. AND, the most interesting to me, a rather large colony of roof-top
nesting Caspian Terns near Navy Pier in Cook Co.  The count was 230
adults in July 2009, and they shared their rooftop with nesting Herring
and Ring-billed Gulls.  IN's first CT nests were documented in 1997 in
nearby Lake Co. at a steel plant landfill.

Other changes in IL noted from the 2009 season -
Mississippi Kites continue to breed in Rockford.
Swainson's Warbler continue to "hang on" in southern IL canebrakes and
Swainson's Hawk also barely hanging on.
Continued probable breeding records for Black Rail.
Piping Plover attempting to nest in Waukegan.
Black-necked Stilt continuing its march across the state.
Bewick's Wren and Painted Bunting again located at their different,
single, known nesting spots.
And finally, Summer Tanager, Blue Grosbeak (now in Lake Co.), and
Yellow-throated Warbler continuing to increase their breeding numbers
northward.

It's fun to think what will turn up in WI this summer.

Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County