[wisb] Jefferson Co. sightings from the past week...

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 09:05:40 -0500

Hi all,

Tom Prestby and I did some birding around Jefferson County on Thursday...

Emma Carlin Trail:
6 Hooded Warblers
8 Acadian Flycatchers
1 possible singing Cerulean
many mosquitoes

Young Prairie State Natural Area--northwest of where Young Rd makes 90
turn to the south
about 4 Alder Flycatchers
1 Red-headed Woodpecker
1 early Nashville Warbler
1 Orchard Oriole

The sod farm near 59 and Piper Rd had:
20 Pectoral Sandpipers
many Killdeer

Marshall Rd just west of D:
about 6 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Lesser Yellowlegs
1 Semipalmated Sandpiper
1 Semipalmated Plover
1 Bald Eagle

Danielson Rd:
1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
dozens (perhaps even hundreds) of roadside frogs
Several Cardinal Flowers in bloom--neither one of us could recall seeing
this species in bloom in the wild anywhere else.

Red Cedar Lake SNA--right of of A just north of Marsh Rd
1 Bell's Vireo

Ponds/Marsh just west of Jefferson on 18
22 Great Egrets
6 Hooded Mergansers

London Rd Parking Lot for Zeloski Marsh:
cuckoo species
2 Double Breasted Cormorants
1 Red-headed Woodpecker--adult exploring dead trees in the State Natural
Area across directly across the street from the parking lot.  Tom and I
looked for a nest cavity, but cold not find one.

Faville Grove:
About a dozen Dickcissel--in the last week this species has either begun
migration or is less vocal.
Sedge Wrens
2 Bobolink

Aaron Stutz
Lake Mills, WI
Jefferson County

P.S. On Friday I passed the Dane County Landfill and counted about 70
Turkey Vultures.  I pulled over to check for any Black Vultures in the
mix (there weren't any).  I suspect landfills are under-birded in summer
and might be worth checking for Black Vultures and even some
over-summering subadult gulls besides Ring-bills and Herrings.