[wisb] Introduction

  • From: "mruh@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <mruh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:12:20 -0800 (PST)

I am Les Anderson.  My wife, Nancy, and I live in Three Lakes, Oneida County,
Wisconsin on 9-mile Creek.  I am recently retired from teaching science and
language arts in Three Lakes.  I am new to the list, and now have the time to
be able to increase my knowledge of and enjoyment with Wisconsin birds.
Reading the list for the last couple of weeks is helping.
Birds at the feeders now:  BC CHICKADEE, both REDPOLLS, RB & WB NUTHATCH,
"SLATE-COLORED" & "OREGON" JUNCOS; DOWNY, HAIRY, and PILEATED WOODPECKERS - a
female RED-BACKED WOODPECKER showed up for one day a week ago, never seen
before, or since - 35 TURKEYS come in once or twice a day, BLUEJAYS, GOLDFINCH,
PINE SISKIN, AMERICAN CROW.

Missing entirely this winter: Evening Grosbeak.  Other winters flocks of two
dozen would descend from the sky, drain the feeders, and depart leaving nothing
behind except the sudden hush.

Mammals at the feeder: red and gray/black, & flying squirrels, deer (I try not
to feed them), raccoon, occasionally an ermine shows up.

Flybys when the creek opens up: BALD EAGLE, RAVEN.

There is a lot of variety in the Three Lakes area.  I've read about some of the
birding tours several of you have taken into the Nicolet, but I've noticed that
nobody has mentioned the Thunder Lake/Rice Lake area or the black spruce swamp
just out of town on Co. A.

My feeder watching is done from my kitchen.  Anybody (a car's worth of
anybodys) who is interested in taking a peek is welcome for the birds and a cup
of coffee and a potty break. Just contact me first to make sure I'll be home.

I am looking forward to learning from all the experience that is being shared
on the list.

Les Anderson
Three Lakes, Oneida, Wisconsin