[wisb] I was a perch for a tanager!

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:04:02 -0500

I was sitting outside on our patio at 4:30 this afternoon, watching all the
bird activity at the feeders and at our water cascades/pool.  I was wearing
green and tan clothing that allowed me to blend into the setting in the shade
near one of the patio birdbaths.  A male scarlet tanager suddenly and silently
swooped down from a tree branch and landed on my knee.  I sat perfectly still
as the scarlet beauty looked me over for several seconds.  Through my
sunglasses I stared into his dark beady eyes.  Then, perhaps realizing that I
was a living creature, the tanager flew off as suddenly as he had alighted.
This was definitely one of those once-in-a-lifetime spiritual wild encounters!

Mary Strasser in Onalaska

La Crosse County