[wisb] Hustisford shorebirbirds-3 different species today

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:31:05 -0500

Earlier this afternoon spent an hour or so on the river in Husty. After
last evenings 6-8 yellowlegs didn't have too high of hopes for today but as
soon as I got there I could see good numbers again. Estimate close to 300
birds. 11 species today with 3 not previously seen in the past week. There
were again 15 Wilson's phalaropes present. New today were 2 short-billed
dowitchers, 3 stilt sandpipers and 1 Bairds sandpiper. Shorebirds have been
challenging for me, but when you can sit 60' away from them with a scope
and study them for extended periods it's way easier. The dowitchers I
called short-billed because I could see spotting on the flanks instead of
barring. The stilts were rather easy with the heavy curved bills, greenish
legs and 2 had transitional barring underneath. The Bairds took more study.
I left it and went back to it several times to confirm. Black legs, fine
straight tip bill and could plainly see wings longer than tail. As I said,
makes things a lot easier, and more enjoyable, with extended close range
viewing. The birds were still all present when I left about 3:00.
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI

Dodge Co