[wisb] Anderson Sod Farm, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:40:08 -0500

For some reason my morning e-mail did not get posted so will make a 2nd
attempt.  Early this morning, after yesterday's 2 inch rain---greatly
needed---I checked out the Van Patten Rd dikes and the Anderson Sod Farm.

The dikes had a little more moisture but only 7 shorebird species could be
found  Numbers were also way down from early in the week, i.e., 160 Killdeer
then, only 10 today.

However the Anderson sod farm was excellent.  Easily the best field was the
west one where the sod had been removed some time ago, thus there were weeds
and grass scattered, plus after the rain, water ponds in parts of the field.
11 shorebird species were seen including 200+ Killdeer, 1 Baird's Sandpiper
(close by the road the entire time I was there) and a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER.
The latter was way back and I only discovered it when it flew to join some
other shorebirds.  It soon disappeared amongst the weeds and grass and I could
not relocate it, probably due to the distance.

If the weather does not get as hot as it has been, this field could be quite
good for a number of days.  Good luck.  (And here is hoping that this time it
is posted!)
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI