[wisb] Re: How common are (Common) Ravens in south central Wisconsin

  • From: Mary Zenker <dmzenker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sunil Gopalan <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:10:06 -0600

I don't know her background or level of expertise but when I returned home
after our trip to Cassel Road, I looked up Common Raven on Cornell. After
looking at the pictures of the birds in flight and listening to the call, I
do think her ID was correct...but I am not confident enough to report it to
ebird. But it is interesting to find out about a bird that I never really
considered before.
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Sunil Gopalan <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While it's entirely possible that Common Ravens might be seen near Sauk
City, your odds really aren't that good as they don't seem to deviate much
from their range.
To put it in perspective, there are over 5500 reports of American Crow in
Sauk Co in eBird and 8 confirmed reports for Common Raven.

If part of your group were from parts of the state or country where Common
Raven is much more common, they might just not have given enough thought to
the id challenge it can pose.

Sunil Gopalan -- Madison

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Mary -

Ravens are occasionally seen at Devil's Lake, and there's some thought
that they might nest in the vicinity. They also show up in Columbia County
from time to time. I'd have no trouble believing a pair could be seen down
close to Sauk City.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.