[wisb] Hornet and yellow jacket

  • From: "Jerry Schoen" <basketsandbirds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:14:03 -0500

First of all let me apologize  for sending this as it does not pertain to
birding. But I believe it is helpful.
None of us enjoys those two summer pests. Eliminating them now solves later
anguish. Those that survived the winter are Queens. Todays 80 degree weather
woke some of them from the long winter nap, and they are hungry and looking for
food the start their brood. This afternoon I  mixed 1/3 part vinegar, 1/3
hummer sugar/ and 1/3 water and poured it in my trap. In less that 2 hours
there were 3 hornets taking swimming lessons which I believe they will fail to
pass. Nip them early!!
Jerry Schoen
Whitewater, Wi