[wisb] Horicon = dead, dead, dead

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:22:54 -0500

Horicon Marsh was stunningly quiet this morning when I went across on Hwy 49.
The mudflat south of the historical marker was devoid of birds (even the far
back wetter area had only a few ducks, and no shorebirds that I could see with
binoculars.)  I finally found a few L. Yellowlegs and Least SPs on the north
side down towards the east end.  There were only two or three dozen Great
Egrets on the north side, compared to 300-400 a few weeks ago.  I noticed the
impoundment on the south side east of the pumphouse is full of Smartweed -
bears watching in a few weeks when the Nelson's and LeConte's Sparrows start
moving through.

I took a drive out on Ledge Road - no YC Night Heron, and very few other
herons/egrets (or shorebirds.)  Ran into Chuck Henrickson down at the west end,
and he had a few shorebirds in the scope - LYLs, Leasts, Spotted and Solitary
Sandpiper.  Also heard a Marsh Wren and a Sora there.

This afternoon, on my way back to Madison, Hwy 49 was still devoid of
shorebirds.  I went on the Auto Loop, and there were some across from "the" red
rock near the end of the Egret Trail boardwalk.  Almost as many Greater as
Lesser YLs, Least SPs, maybe a Pectoral (I know I saw a single Pec somewhere
today, but I can't remember where. This will happen to you too someday,
youngsters...)

One hopes Horicon gets some rain before the WSO trip there next Sunday...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI