[wisb] Re: FBMP Crossbills and their food crop and Dicksissles: Ozaukee Co.

  • From: Todd Wilson <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:43:17 -0500

Tom,
I was surprised to see them not in pine, since I had always been told to
look for red crossbills in pine trees previously (without luck I might
add). Based on the recordings I made this morning, these birds appear to
be type 3, the smallest crossbills in North America. According to Jeff
Groth at the American Museum of Natural History, type 3 crossbills "are
strongly associated with weak-coned conifers such as hemlock (/Tsuga/),
spruces (/Picea/), and larch (/Larix/)".

much useful crossbill info can be found on Jeff Groth's site:
http://research.amnh.org/vz/ornithology/crossbills/contents.html

Todd Wilson
Glendale