[wisb] Horicon Marsh update

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:02:38 -0500

After enjoying the Buff-br. Sandpiper last evening west of Appleton and with
Tom Prestby's post about the good shorebirds near Green Bay, I decided to check
Horicon Marsh habitat. There is good and bad news. First the bad: the Old
Marsh Rd pond is totally dry! Only a few Killdeer were there and by this
weekend there will not even be that I would imagine. The good news: the first
pond on the Auto Tour Rd has very good habitat and had about 7-9 species with 5
Short-billed Dowitchers and 3 Semi. Plovers the "best". the other potentially
good news is that the north pond on 49 (between the historic sign and across
from the pump house) is coming down. Habitat is showing along the edges and a
very few spots in it. There is limited shorebirds present now but if this
continues it should improve---certainly worth checking when there.
Last, the Trumpeter Swan family on the pond east of the pump house along 49 are
all doing well. The 7 cygnets and 2 adults were loafing on the shore and later
actively feeding on the pond.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI