[wisb] Door Co. Sightings (Seasonal Sightings, Local Occurrence Only)

  • From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: WIS List Serve <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:05:46 -0700

....and good day....and, sorry, I presently found a high-speed connection here
at our rental house that is now working,
so sorry for the tardy post that notes 7-28 - 7-29 sightings, below from n.
Door Co. & WA Island:
1. 7-29-15 (and a more extensive checklist that is complete will be at
ebird.org soon)

Best, notable seasonal sightings/local occurrence highlights on WA Island:
(none are vagrants and/or casual visitors)

- 5 EASTERN KINGBIRD on telephone line, with four of five hatch year (HY)
individuals.

- 1 1st year/HY BALD EAGLE seen from the only climbing tower on the island (as
I forget it’s name now, sorry)

- HY PURPLE MARTIN (at least four) in box next to ferry landing on grassy lawn
area, with
both male and female bringing food.

Kudos to Melody Walsh for her pre-trip help and special kindness. Appreciated,
Melody (!)
(No Red-necked Grebe on Little Lake that I could see, per her recent
sightings....:-(....)

2. 7-28-15 (and a more extensive checklist that is complete will be at
ebird.org soon)

a. Most interesting seasonal sightings near our rental house close to Co. NP &
High. 42:

- 1 singing BLACK-THROATED GREEN (a little late, as some individuals have
already dispersed and/or migrated away from natal territories, as this
warbler is common/abundant throughout n. Door Co.)

- 1 singing Great-crested Flycatcher

- 1 singing Eastern Wood-Pewee

b. Wandering Rd. area (near Hands On Art Studio on Pen. Player Rd.)

- 1 male BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER (at bottomland, Silver Maple grove area,
immediately AFTER the short gravel stretch that you first encounter if you come
from Pen. Player Rd.) (This grove is an oasis and songbird "magnet” amid
cultivated fields that I suggest would be abundant with wood-warblers during
late April - mid-May annually.)

- 1 HY/first-year WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH

Regards to all....Hope to see some of you on the trails when we return in late
Sept. and early October for the fall migration bird viewing fun (especially
wood-warbler sleuthing)

Daniel Edelstein

Novato, CA (SF Bay Area)
&