[wisb] Horicon Marsh today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:06:10 -0500

Poked around Horicon a little bit in the late morning and again late this
afternoon on my way back from Oshkosh.  Not a lot of note.  Only shorebirds I
found were some Lesser and a few Greater Yellowlegs in a flooded field on S.
Point Rd.  I hike out a little ways on the Old Marsh Rd. from the east end off
N. Point Rd., but didn't see much in the wind.  Kind of zipped across Hwy 49
and didn't see anything that inclined me towards stopping.

Late this afternoon, I drove the Auto Loop, with little to show for it.  The
Trumpeter Swan was still on its nest on the last pond on the loop, and there
was a lingering (possibly sick - it looked kind of ratty) Common Goldeneye on
the pond across from the red rock.  I did stop on Hwy 49 to scope the ducks
north of the historical marker (Fond du Lac Co.)  Most were tucked up against,
or even a ways into, the cattails.  I noticed a few No. Pintails, then more,
then more and more.  My actual count was 175, and I know I missed a lot that
were back in the vegetation.  By far the most I've ever seen in one spot.
There were also close to half that many Green-winged Teal.

Strange to have so many of what I think of as early spring ducks at the end of
April, but only one Great Egret and a lone Great Blue Heron.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI