[wisb] Horicon Marsh area today

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:24:16 -0500

I considered chasing the white-tailed kite today but for various reason
decided against it. Instead I decided to take a casual tour around the
Horicon Marsh area to see what I could find in spite of the closed areas.
First off just north of Horicon on the west side of Hwy 28 was a mature
bald eagle sitting in one of the dead trees. Up past Mayville I found 2
Wilsons snipe in a wet field. First stop was Lehner Rd. where I found song,
Lincoln, white-crowned and white-throated sparrows. Also 1 junco and 1
Nashville warbler.

Next I took a drive in Ledge Rd. The only notable bird I saw there was a
vesper sparrow.

I then walked in the Oakfield Ledge Natural Area. I happened into a nice
wave of birds including both kinglets, 1 American redstart, yellow-rumped
and orange-crowned warblers, 1 beautiful breeding plumage male
black-throated green, 1 blue-headed vireo, 1 scarlet tanager in fall
plumage, 1 brown creeper and 1 tufted titmouse, which was a little
unexpected. For those who haven't been there this area is on Breakneck Rd.
NE of Horicon Marsh. It is an unimproved natural area that is especially
beautiful now with the fall colors.

I left there and driving Stumpf Rd. I found 1 cattle egret escorting a cow
around the pasture. Pretty funny.

I then drove across the Marsh on Hwy 49. Lots of ducks on the south side, I
didn't spend much time on them but were probably 8-10 species. There was on
interesting one, it's body was all white with a brown head. Some mallard
hybrid  possibly? On the north side were some Canada geese with a couple of
those hybrids like Peter Fissel reported a while back. There was a small
number of shore birds including yellowlegs, pecs, 1 least, killdeer, 1
semi-palmated plover and 2 dowitchers which I believe were long-billed.
There are still a few great egret scattered about the area. As I got
farther west on Hwy 49 I found another cattle egret standing on some bent
over cattails in company with 3 great egrets. Unfortunately, it's looking
bleak for me to see a snow egret this year.

As I was heading back towards home on Hwy 26 there were many Canada geese
with 2 white snow geese in the mix.

All in all a very enjoyable several hours of birding. The birds don't know
the areas are closed and many can be seen from the roads.

Dave Schrab

Dodge Co WI