[wisb] Hooded Merganser Mating Displays

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:41:54 -0600

Hello, all,
I visited the Port Washington Marina on Monday and enjoyed both the balmy
forty degree weather and a group of four male Hooded Mergansers' mating
displays. Hooded Mergs are my favorite duck, so I really got a kick of
watching the males try their darnedest to impress the two females present.
One of the females behaved aggressively toward one of the males after about
an hour of observation, so I wondered if she had chosen a mate.

Here is a link to my slideshow. The photos vary in quality, but they were
all included because they paint of picture of what I saw on Monday.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/49427613@N03/sets/72157632832329962/show/

Alternate link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/

Thanks for looking!

--