[wisb] Help ID-ing feathers at fox kill site?

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:22:31 -0800 (PST)

Today at Milwaukee's Lakeshore State Park I found some scattered feathers in an
area with lots of fox prints (there is a Red Fox den maybe 100 feet away from
this point. No blood on the site, but there was a few small spots of fox urine
in the snow. The fox tracks led away from this site, so it probably ate the
bird somewhere else.

Anyone have any ideas what bird these feathers are from?

* Here's an overhead photo of the scene: http://bit.ly/i4Idje

* Here's an overhead photo with my footprint in front of the feathers for
perspective: http://bit.ly/fkhAgU (My shoe is almost exactly 12 inches long)

* And here are two closeups of the biggest chunk of feathers:

http://bit.ly/ii6oXQ
http://bit.ly/gLE8b4

Thanks in advance!

Bernie Sloan