[wisb] Harrington Beach, Sheboygan, etc

  • From: Gmail <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:41:49 -0600

I spent the greater part of the day birding along Lake Michigan, starting at
Harrington Beach SP and ending at Point Beach SF.  Roads to the lower parking
lot at Harrington were very icy, as was the path out to the lake.  As a result
I spent my time birding at the end of D.  Ducks were very active, both on and
flying around the lake.  I found all three scoters, although they were some
distance out.  One definitely needs a scope.  There were 8 White-winged, 2 Surf
and 1 Black Scoter.  About 100 Long-tailed Ducks were moving around during the
entire time I was there.  Other standard ducks were also seen.  Almost no gulls
were seen.
The lake at Kohler SP was very quiet.  The feeders were very active with
standard birds that included redpolls and 2 Red-br. Nuthatches.

I found the Am Wigeon on the pond along 28 (Washington St).  At Blue Harbor
Hotel there were numerous goldeneyes (all Common) and Greater Scaup.  I could
not locate the Horned Grebe.  However while checking the lake to the south from
the harbor, the Myrtle Warbler flew up from the break wall and right by me,
landing in some shrubs on the east side of the hotel.  An adult Glaucous and
Great  Black-backed Gull were in the harbor.  North Pt had standard waterfowl
and gulls.

The river in Manitowoc by the museum had numerous goldeneyes and scaup plus one
scoter.  It was a female but was strange as it dove numerous times, showing no
white on the wings (Surf).  However while swimming around it showed a little
white on one wing but none on the other.  This is one of the strangest scoters
I have ever seen.

A Redhead (male) was amongst the other ducks in the Two Rivers harbor.  Almost
no gulls were present in either Manitowoc or Two Rivers.  Point Beach SF was
the quietest I have ever seen it in winter!!

It was a nice day to be out birding!

Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI