[wisb] Harlequin, not this time

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:58:17 -0800 (PST)

    Hey, everyone, this'll have to be my weekly trip to Appleton today since
there's no class tomorrow, so I buzzed over to the James Island area in search
of the Harlequin, but to no avail, not that it wasn't there, I just didn't have
the time to scour all the ducks, though I did get the kingfisher right away,
always a nice winter treat for that bird.  Got the shoveler and the gadwall,
too.  LOTS of common mergansers  and other diving ducks, like mallards.  You
read that right, mallards were actively diving for shad and whatever.  Always a
grin.
  A few eagles around as well.  Checked out  the 'gull site' by Broad St where
the big gull outbreak was back in '06,  just a couple herrings and some more
mergansers, that's it, as far as I could see.
   So far for today,  Paul Bruce
   Oshkosh, Winnebago Co.