[wisb] Gull eats crawfish in Lakeshore State Park

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

I mentioned in a posting yesterday that there are lots of crawfish claws along
the sidewalks in Milwaukee's Lakeshore State Park, and that the park's manager
(Tom Kroeger) told me that it was the work of gulls.

I got to see firsthand evidence of this today. A gull flew up from the lagoon
and landed in front of me on the sidewalk. The gull fidgeted with the crawfish
until the claws came off. Then the bird swallowed the rest of the squirming
crawfish whole, carapace and all!! It was not a tiny crawfish!!

Very interesting!!

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee