[wisb] Guess it really is spring

  • From: "Bettie R. Harriman" <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:51:52 -0500

Just now I was sitting in my living room and heard a thump against
the sliding glass door in the dining - I thought a bird might have
flown into it.  But the thumps continued.  A whole flock of birds
flying into it????
I go into the door way and see a huge male Tom turkey all puffed up
strutting back and forth passed the door, obviously seeing his own
reflection.  The thumps were from his beak as he struck the door with
it to drive off that intruder!
For a week of more we have had a female turkey visiting the yard to
eat under the feeders.  She was there now also, feeding under the
feeder just off the deck as the male did his macho thing.  She seemed
to be totally ignoring him.
As I walked closer to the door, I could hear him making a gutteral
sound as he paraded around. She saw me and moved back into the wooded
area of my yard, and when she left, he moved off the deck and is now
picking away under the feeder.
I've certainly heard of cardinal's attacking their own image, but a turkey!
I'll be watching for a parade of babies to come in one day behind Mom.

Bettie Harriman from her wooded yard north of Oshkosh