[wisb] Greater Prairie-Chickens, Portage County, and other sightings

  • From: Todd Wilson <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:29:29 -0500

I spent Monday morning and again this morning in a blind at the Greater
Prairie-Chicken lek at the Milk Crystal Dairy in Portage County.
This is a really fantastic place to view the booming activities this
time of year. There were 20 birds this morning, 10 male and 10 female.
They are really close to the blinds. On several occasions there was a
bird on the roof of the blind stomping out his dance pattern! And
extremely vocal for 3 hours straight. Fighting, dancing, hollering,
etc... I made tons of audio recordings, hope to have some posted soon,
an amazing racket.
The Flaig family are very helpful and gracious hosts. Check out their
website for more info if you are interested:
http://www.prairiechickenviewing.com/

On the way up on Sunday I stopped at the Kewaskum woods in Washington
Co., where the highlight was a drumming Ruffed Grouse.

Then made a stop at Horicon. Lots of cool things, but the highlights
were 1) A Merlin snagging a Tree Swallow on Ledge Rd.
2) On Point Rd, a truly bizarre and amazing sight: a small sapling in
someone's yard  weighed down by 13 male Yellow-headed Blackbirds with
fresh brilliant feathers!

Todd Wilson
Milwaukee