[wisb] Re: Great Gray Owl update Juneau County

  • From: David Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:45:47 -0600

Hi all,
    Before too many rumors, accusations, or indignation starts flying
around the various Wisconsin birding lists ( Not so much here )  ..... No
Wisconsin birder or photographer  was involved whatsoever with any what
some will call  bad behavior  at the Great Grey Owl site this morning.  If
you are upset, just be happy the next time the Packers beat the Bears. :)
    The bird seems to be very regular, gives great views from the road. It
took awhile to appear this morning. It's probably roosting somewhere along
the back tree lines. It can be very hard to pick out even when you know
exactly where it is. The locals seem to be very pleasant and curious. It
might help some if everyone can try to park on the same side of the road to
allow traffic to get through a bit easier.

     The Great Grey is a very active bird and it caught a unassisted rodent
while I was there. This is a great chance to see this bird far south of
it's usual haunts.

      I didn't have time to check it out today, but one of the locals said
there is good Bald Eagle viewing at the county park on the east side of the
Wisconsin River on 82. ( Head north to the park)

       I'll be posting a few photos of the owl later on at some point at
http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/new_photos

Dave Freriks
Chesapeake, OH/ Hartford, WI