[wisb] Gray Partridges YES, plus a surprise at Sheboygan

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:17:35 -0600

Thanks to the nice people who posted to the list and backchanneled me, I
finally found gray partridges today, a lifer for me after several attempts
over the years.  I found nine partridges in the agricultural field on the SE
corner of Shirley Road and W in Brown County.  They were close enough to the
road that I had excellent looks at all details with my bins.  When I exited
my car to try to get my scope, they flushed and flew back towards the barn.

I stopped at Sheboygan on the way home, and enjoyed a non-blustery day for a
change.  An Iceland gull flew overhead, turning and coming back, showing
snow white underparts (including wings), and a darkish gray mantle with no
obvious black wingtips.  It was smaller and less bulky than a glaucous gull.
The big surprise was finding a red-throated loon preening and lounging on
the surface for several minutes.  It was viewed from the gazebo north of the
small parking lot at Northpoint.

Great day birding!

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee