[wisb] Grant and Iowa Counties today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:23:43 -0500

Several Madison-area birders visited Iowa and Grant Counties today.  Along Hwy
18 in Iowa Co., we saw a EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE in Cobb, and another between
there and Montfort near a farm.  At Wyalusing St. Park in Grant Co., there were
multiple RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS at the entrance station feeders.  In the
fields around the observatory, we had at least two HENSLOW'S SPARROWS,
BLUE-WINGED WARBLERS, and heard a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO calling.

The bird of the day was CERULEAN WARBLER - they were everywhere in the park, it
seemed.  We had several up by the main overlook parking lot, and more down Long
Valley Rd.  A KENTUCKY WARBLER was very cooperative up by the Passenger Pigeon
monument, and we heard another down near the railroad tracks.  An absurdly tame
PROTHONOTARY WARBLER entertained us at the boat launch, nearly perching on
Chuck Heikinnen's camera lens at one point.  As we drove back up Long Valley
Rd., I heard a suspicious trill from up on a steep slope.  We stopped and
listened for ten or fifteen minutes as the bird worked around up the slope,
finally giving up when it moved higher up.  I'm fairly sure it was a
Worm-eating Warbler, but not enough to count it, so it remains my state
"nemesis" bird.

We drove out to the Hennenger Overlook to eat lunch (the road there off of Long
Valley is still closed, but it can be reached through the Homestead
Campground.)  As we ate, another YB CUCKOO flew up and perched nearby, then
flew off and called from across the clearing.  We also heard another Kentucky
Warbler along the road.  We looked for Yellow-throated Warblers at the
Homestead picnic area, per Steve Thiessen's recommendation, but whiffed on them
(it was early afternoon by this point, although most birds, including more
Ceruleans, were still singing.)  I did have a nice male BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER a
little ways down one of the trails in some big pines.  We went back down Long
Valley to the turnoff for the Passenger Pigeon monument for one last shot at
Yellow-throated Warblers, but missed them again - the singing Ceruleans were
starting to get annoying, since I hadn't expected to whiff on Yellow-throated
(first time in several years.)

We took a circuitous route back to Madison in order to cruise some of the roads
south of Dodgeville for grassland birds.  Near the intersection of Iowa Co.
Hwys D & DD, we had several WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, BOBOLINKS, DICKCISSEL, &
SAVANNAH SPARROW.  At Thomson Prairie in far southwest Dane Co., we had a very
cooperative GRASSHOPPER SPARROW that perched on the nearby Thousand's Rock
Prairie sign.  Many photos were taken.

All in all, it was a very good day, despite missing one "can't miss" bird.  The
T-storms even held off until we got back to Madison.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.