[wisb] George W. Mead State Wildlife Area: Berkhahn Rookery Bicycle Loop

  • From: Rob Pendergast <rob121092@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:33:06 -0500

This morning I spent 3 hours on the birding the entire Berkhahn Rookery Bike
Loop. Nothing out of the ordinary, I did manage to get my first of the year
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher near the small wooded area, close to the
Headquarters. The American Bitterns were booming up a storm and I did
observe one sitting motionless in a patch of cattails. There was one female
Northern Pintail present in the eastern portion of Berkhahn Flowage. There
was also a good number of dug up Snapping Turtle nests along the trail
(eggshells littered the surrounding gravel), 2 were undisturbed and 3 were
in progress. Massive amounts of Dragonflies can be found on the northern
section of the trail, I rode past a good sized shrub and 50 must have flown
out! Clay-colored, Savannah, Grasshopper, and Song Sparrows are all present
on the prairie near the HQ along with Alder Flycatchers and Eastern Phoebes.
I had 55 species total for the morning.
Happy Birding,

Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County