[wisb] Re: Garganey Burnett Co

  • From: Eric Howe <wibirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 19:38:02 -0500

Present at 6:00 pm.  After concluding a family event in northwest Wisconsin, we
detoured to Crex Meadows.  We arrived at 545 pm when others had informed us it
had flown east from the main waterway (located south of the intersection of F
and Abel Road) a short distance to a narrow waterway (still on the south side
of Abel Road).  The Garganey was present with a Blue-winged Teal pair
approximately 300 feet south of Abel Road in this narrow waterway. There was
plenty of niches that they ducked into and out of view. After not seeing the
three for 10 minutes, the teal emerged but the Garganey remained out of view.
As we left, we informed another birder that just arrived of its approximate
location and mentioned we had not seen it for a while. I felt he was kidding,
but he said he had his 'mud boots' with him and would use them if needed (!) :(

Eric Howe
Walworth Co.