[wisb] Crex Meadows--WOW!

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 20:00:26 -0500

I arrived at Crex Meadows at 10:15 to be informed that the GARGANEY had flown
off about l5 minutes ago.  A bunch of us had just arrived so we looked and
scanned other ponds.  About a half hour later it was rediscovered on the pond
on the north side of Abel Rd.  We had great looks at it for about 45 minutes.
During this time it was courting a female Blue-winged Teal, to the obvious
disgust of the male Blue-winged;  flew to another part of the pond and
eventually worked along the reeds, occasionally disappearing in them.  From
here I worked around the rest of the refuge.  Two highlights stood out:  a
large female Black Bear with a small cub along the Main Dike Rd near the east
end;  and along North Refuge Rd just beyond the picnic area woods (on the west
side) an obvious bluebird flew across the road.  Fortunately it landed in a
nearby tree where it remained for a few minutes.  I was really surprised when
my binoculars revealed a male MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD (sorry Kay!).  It continued
moving to the north and out of sight soon after.  A Red-necked Grebe was on
Phantom Lake.  Also on the way over to Grantsburg, a Goshawk flew across Hwy 70
west of Spooner.  It appeared to be carrying something.
On the way home a stop along Van Patten Rd (Outagamie co) revealed good
shorebird habitat in the flooded fields north of the dikes.  The only
shorebirds were numerous yellowlegs.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI