[wisb] Re: Garganey 4/29 Crex- Yes, plus captivity "answer"

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jjprestby@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:09:02 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for reporting on my behalf, Tom. I still use an "old school" phone, so
I'm unable to report these things myself!
To the best of my knowledge, the Garganey was seen when people were leaving at
4:00pm yesterday. We saw it when we were leaving at 3:30pm, and it plus the
trio of Blue-winged Teal it was with seemed quite content. Both times we
observed it, it was in the more eastern of the two ditches that are southeast
of Abel Road and County Road F. It was only viewable from Abel Road. The second
time we saw it, it was no more than 100 feet from us, actively feeding,
displaying (and vocalizing!), preening, getting irate with a male Blue-winged
Teal, and then sleeping.

I was curious if Garganey were ever kept in captivity. Here's an excerpt from
the National Audubon Society's page: "This Eurasian teal is sometimes found as
a vagrant on freshwater lakes and marshes in North America. Because waterfowl
are often kept in captivity, it is often difficult to distinguish wild vagrants
from escapees. Garganey are rarely kept in captivity as they retain breeding
plumage only briefly, so most reports are thought to be true vagrants." I think
I snapped a photo of it on the shore. Perhaps its hallux (back toe) will be
exposed and I can see if it is clipped (=captive) or not (=wild). I'll post
here if the hallux appears clipped.

I'm also wondering if the female Blue-winged Teal it's paired up with will nest
at Crex Meadows. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. If anyone sees the Garganey
copulating, please let us know! To the best of my knowledge, there's no
confirmed breeding records for Garganey in North America. Then again, there is
also a good chance that the Garganey is just putting on a show for us. :)

We struck out on Mountain Bluebird, Chestnut-collared Longspur, and Red-necked
Grebe. We did see a male American Black Duck paired up with a female Mallard.
I'm guessing that the Mallard (which will now produce hybrid offspring) will
nest here, since it is good habitat and close to the black duck's regular
breeding range.

I hope to post the Garganey photos tonight to the two Facebook pages. If you're
not on Facebook and would still like to view a photo, please e-mail me and I
will gladly send you one or two.

Thanks, and good luck to those who plan on trying for the bird later this week!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Lake Mills, IA