[wisb] Re: GREAT GRAY OWL - Juneau County

  • From: David La Puma <woodcreeper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:27:34 -0600

The GGOW was refound this morning and reported to the Facebook page and the
WIBIRDSOUTH text alert service. Thanks to Dan Belter and Mary Backus for
refinding the bird and getting the word out so quickly. Several Southern WI
birders enjoyed the bird this morning and as far as I know the bird was
being seen until at least 11:30am when I left. The bird was actively
(although unsuccessfully) hunting both sides of 21st Avenue, just north of
Hwy 82 (just east of Mauston). At one point the bird flew towards us from
100+ feet away, and landed within 12 feet of us. It was always actively
hunting and could not have cared less about our presence, although we were
all very conscious to give it as much space as possible. At another point
the owl pounced in the snow on the west side of the road and did several
hops looking for something that it presumably heard, but never came up with
a critter. The owl also flew toward the adjacent residence on the west side
of the road and perched on a small sapling in their back yard. When I
arrived, the bird was perched along a northeast-running tree line just
before the road goes uphill. The bird was always between the hill in the
road and Hwy 82.
Good luck if you go!

David La Puma
Madison, WI