[wisb] Re: GBB or LBB gull? Kenosha

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>, <dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:42:11 -0600

I'd have to say that I disagree with Chris on the gull ID -- I believe it to
be a Lesser Black-backed.  Although the bill seems somewhat large, that may
be partially an illusion, since the head/bill may be in profile while the
body is more of a 3/4 view.  To me it does not appear especially heavy, in
terms of the thickness relative to the length.   The eye also seems
relatively large relative to the bill size, while a Greater's eye tends to
be proportionally smaller.

The mantle/upperparts color also seems more dark gray than blackish, and
unlike Lessers, adult Great Black-backs usually don't have much dusky
mottling on the head & neck in winter.

Unfortunately the leg color doesn't show in this photo, but I believe that
they would be yellowish.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.