[wisb] Re: GBB or LBB gull? Kenosha

  • From: "Bettie R. Harriman" <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kuechererdennis@xxxxxxxxx, "trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:36:44 -0600

My comments have nothing to do with the ID of the gull, but with the
names (well, I am serving as the Passenger Pigeon co-editor, so
editor speaking here).

According to the American Ornithologists' Union, the official English
name of each of these gulls species is - Lesser Black-backed Gull and
Great Black-backed Gull.

Note:  Lesser and Great are not parallel - one can be forgiven for
expecting it to be Lesser and Greater, but it is not - at least not
at this time.  This is a mistake many folks make when talking about
these two gulls.  And when writing their names, please remember the
hyphen between Black and backed (also capital B in Black and lower
case b in backed).

So Dennis has it correct on all points: Great Black-backed Gull

See the sort of stuff editors have to watch for???

Bettie Harriman
Passenger Pigeon co-Editor
stepping off her soap-box in Oshkosh