[wisb] Re: Fwd: "Spark bird" what's yours?

  • From: "Dar Tiede" <crepuscular@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Bird Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 06:26:05 -0600

I have enjoyed reading the stories of what sparked your individual interest
in birds.  I am amazed at the recollection that many of you have of a
specific event from so early in your childhood - very cool.  I know what
sparked my interest - who, when and where - but a specific bird does not
stand out.  What sparked me was an array of colorful little gems - the wood
warblers.  I owe my interest in birds to my father for taking me trout
fishing when I was young.  I was probably eight or nine and it was a
beautiful May morning at sunrise on the Radley Creek in Waupaca County.  I
was sitting by the stream (probably a little bored and not having the
patience required for trout!) when the trees and shrubs came alive with
color and sound from what I would recognize now as a fallout.  But then it
was just a mysterious array of unknown tiny colorful birds and I wanted to
learn more.  Next steps were bins and a field guide and after that my father
always told the story that he would come to check up on me at the stream and
find me off in the woods chasing after the birds.  This is still my favorite
family of birds and always will be.

This thread has given us a chance to think about what sparked the
development of the passion we have for this hobby.  For many it was a
particular bird - for some a particular person was also instrumental.  I
think we should try to carry this beyond just shared stories.  First, I
encourage you to go and say thanks to the person or persons that touched
your life in this way if that is still possible.  I am so glad I was able to
thank my dad for sharing his passion for trout with me before I lost him.
What can each of us do to help to create the chances for that spark in
someone else?  I know many of you have done this with your children and
grandchildren.  The support you provide with your WSO membership helps
promote young birders in many ways also.  You hear a lot these days about
"paying it forward" and "creating a legacy".  What better way than to leave
someone behind to follow your footsteps in the field and woods and to be a
good steward of our world?  If you are lucky and that spark takes in someone
else then maybe many years from now your name might show up again on a forum
or thread like this one.  Someone will remember you as that spark!

Good birding to all!
Dar Tiede
Appleton