[wisb] Four Reports in One: Spring Green, Nine Springs, Purple Gallinule and Whooping Cranes

  • From: "RUECKHEIM KELLY" <RUECKEL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:28:08 -0500

I will start by apologizing for the lateness of some of this information.  I
had no access to a computer until today.

Purple Gallinule

On Tuesday I tried for the Purple Gallinule.  I arrived at about 1:30 and was
able to get great looks at the bird at around 3 PM until 3:35 PM.  Also saw a
couple of Soras and Green Herons there.

Nine Springs Wednesday night:

I spent a couple hours  looking for the Stilts that had been reported with no
luck.  Here is some of what I saw:

Dunlin
Spotted Sandpiper
Killdeer
Great Egret
A. White Pelican
Cedar Waxwings
N. Flicker
Willow Flycatcher
Caspian Terns
RB Gulls
BW Teal

Spring Green Preserve This Morning

This morning I arrived at the Spring Green Preserve at around 9 AM to look for
the interesting birds that have been seen there.  I missed the White Eyed
Vireo, Blue Grosbeak and the Chat but I did get a very good look at a Northern
Mockingbird that was flying around the base of the bluff.  Other birds I saw
there include:

Lark Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Dickcissel
E. Meadowlark
Orchard Oriole
Brown Thrasher
E. Towhee
Blue Winged Warbler
Indigo Bunting
Ovenbird
Eastern Kingbird

Whooping Cranes

Finally, there are four Whooping cranes that have been hanging around the
village of Union Center in Juneau county.  I've been told that they've been
there for over four weeks.  When driving Hwy 80/82 out of Union Center towards
Elroy, take a left on county road W (heading west). About a mile down the road
there is an auto body shop and in the morning the cranes hang out right in the
front yard.  Be careful if you drive there because Monday morning they were
standing right in the middle of the road.

Kelly Rueckheim, Ontario, Vernon County