[wisb] Re: Forest County Birds - Friday

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:11:24 -0600

Yes, I went to Alvin each day I was up and each day I went in the evening there
were no grosbeaks, just blue jays and mourning doves.  I was initially told
that they come once in the morning and once in the evening, but for me they
never showed up in the evening either day and could not be heard anywhere
(perhaps morning grosbeak would be a better name).  So if you go to Alvin, I
strongly reccomend going as early as possible.  I got there the third day at
7:45ish and they were everywhere (I suspect hundreds but it's hard to know for
sure).

As for the catbird, it sounds like I may have been the last one to see it, on
Jan 10.  I did not see it on subsequent visits, though I did not look too hard.

In other news, I've been trying to look for owls in the woods behind our place.
 On Saturday afternoon I saw something swoop through a couple times but was
unable to find it.  Looked like it was chasing a mourning dove but not sure.  I
returned that evening (7:30ish) and walked through the woods into an open field
where I saw a lone bird in the distance in a tree in the middle of the field.
It looked like a smaller, sort of slender bird but it flew off as I approached.
 I returned yesterday afternoon and found a great horned owl.  At one point it
seemed to flush another bird (another owl I believe) but I did not see what it
was and could not re-find it.  I did not see anything last night when I went
back to check.

For those who didn't or were unable to view my report here are two grosbeak
videos taken that morning I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYGEyFVMzp0 (Stapleton's feeder)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0EXtlmc34U (HWY 55 feeder)

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.