[wisb] Re: Forest County Birds - Friday

  • From: Bill Krouse <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:20:23 +0000

LOL!
Must have been the weekend to go birding "up north".

Sarah & I took a more leisurely pace, and arrived at the intersection of Giant
Pine & Pine River Valley roads around 9:30am. With little effort, we were able
to bring out two Boreal Chickadees there, accompanied by several Black Capped
Chickadees and some Red Breasted Nuthatches. One Boreal Chickadee was quite
cooperative, staying in the outside edges of the branches of a Spruce tree at
the road edge in plain sight.

Just a little down Pine River Road toward the bridge, we came accross two
Grouse. One was very definitely a Ruffed, the other was a bit harder to see and
may have been darker - but we were not really sure with the looks we got before
both flew off.

And the bridge over the Pine River produced absolutely nothing... once again. I
have struck out on that dang Black Backed WP now for several years. I am
beginning to think he is related to the Ivory Billed WP. LOL!

A trip up to Alvin after some lunch in Three Lakes showed one lone Evening
Grosbeak on a feeder, along with the usual suspects. Nothing on the Stapleton's
red feeder at all, just a few marauding Blue Jays in the nearby trees.
As we drove out of the side streets, we stopped by the Bait shop to talk to a
couple of very nice guys who were working on a truck. One lives at that house,
the other just down the road. His house is directly in front of the salt barn
on the north end of Alvin. He told us that the Catbird had not been seen for
about a week, but invited us to park in his driveway and watch his feeders. His
feeders included a deer carcass hung for all to feast on, unfortunately the
only thing taking advantage was a Downy WP. But he did say that he had Evening
Grosbeaks that morning at his feeders.

A good trip, but a little disconcerning just the same. A lack of birds in
general was hard to not notice. Pine Grosbeaks, Crossbills, Redpolls, Grey
Jays, etc. were just not seen. We even spotted only one Pine Siskin and one
Evening Grosbeak. The rest were entirely Blue Jays, BC Chickadees, and
Goldfinches. Kind of erie.

Good Birding!
--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI

Ask me how to adopt a Greyhound or Borzoi!
http://www.gpawisconsin.org/
http://www.nbrf.info/
http://www.NoWisconsinPuppyMills.org

---- Ty Baumann <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
We did a birding trip to the north woods and started at Alvin at first light -
nice
flock of EVENING GROSBEAKS,  Goldfinches, and the usual feeder birds,  Had 2
BOHEMIAN
WAXWINGS  in the apple tree south of Alvin.  Forest Roads were quiet but did
see a
RUFFED GROUSE  and 4 PINE GROSBEAKS  on Giant Pine Rd.  We saw  6 Pileated
Woodpeckers in different areas.  PINE SISKINS & PURPLE FINCH  at feeders near
Three
Lakes.  No other Boreal species were found.
Ida & Ty Baumann
Green Bay, WI