[wisb] Florence Co summer & fall season

  • From: "Kay Kavanagh" <kkav@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:20:18 -0500

In May during the beginning of breeding season, water levels in Florence Co
were very very low.  Perhaps because of the lack of water we didn't have
nesting Canada Geese, Mallard, Virginia Rail, Sora, and Sedge Wren this season
at our place as in previous years.  Although we had moderate rain during June
and July, our water levels continue quite low.  We did continue to host Wood
Duck, American Bittern, and at least 3 singing Whip-poor-will males. We are
sorry to no longer hear the nightly serenade of the WPWI as of September 2nd.
The evidence of breeding warbler species was greatly reduced perhaps due to
many fewer insects.   Many of our other breeding birds left the last week in
July which is quite early compared to recent years.  Until the last week of
August we only had 4 warbler species recorded here at home.
Since the first of September we have had some mild waves of migrants passing
through our place in SE Florence Co.  Highlights include:

Horned Grebe
Lesser Yellowlegs
3 flycatcher species
Philadelphia Vireo
Ruby-cr Kinglet
5 thrush species including Gray-cheeked and Swainsons
15 warbler species including
No Parula
Black-th-Blue
Blackburnian
Palm
Blackpoll
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee

Our resident No Goshawk and Sharp-sh Hawk make periodic appearances at our
feeders.  Like last year after the Purple Finch raised their broods, they have
basically left.  We have had only occasional sightings of 1 or 2 PUFI in the
last couple weeks.  To date we have had no Pine Siskin, but enjoy an occasional
Evening Grosbeak.

First time sightings this year of Trumpeter Swan, Golden Eagle, Blue-winged,
and Black-throated Blue Warbler brought our total species recorded here at home
to 188.  To date this year we have recorded 134 species just at home.  Round
trip bike rides of approximately 15 miles to Aurora add another 16 species for
a total of 150 on our BIGBY year list.  We are so fortunate to host such a nice
variety of species within walking and biking distance of our home.

Bob and Kay Kavanagh
Aurora  Florence Co