[wisb] Re: Flock of Hawks, Help ID? / Door County

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thenut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:25:05 -0600

Karin, these are second-year (or "first-spring" if you prefer) Broad-winged
Hawks.  Because they are coming from Central and northern South America and
most (if not all) will not breed this year, they are late migrants, typically
moving through the northern half of Wisconsin from mid-May to mid-June.  The
"white" you are seeing in the wings are gaps of missing feathers -- the vast
majority of these SY Broad-wings undergo active wing molt near the inner
primaries as they migrate north.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady