[wisb] Firts day of the northwoods saga

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob and Ellen <bobncorke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:13:39 -0700 (PDT)

What an ethereal relief of being in the far northern reaches of Wisconsin after
being trapped around
Winnebago county.  The bird life, though not very plentiful was far different
than that of the homefront.
First seen greeting me was my brother's 5 Ruby-throated hummingbirds, 2 male
and 3 female.  A raven
was croaking across the lake,  Henry and Henrietta were swimming off to west,
which are the 2 LOONS
by brother affectionately has named.  A yellow-bellied flycatcher was heard
during this morning's fishing
So, all I can muster thus far is around 20 or so species, but the sighting of
the day so far, and right now it's
11am,  heard then seen were about 20 RED CROSSBILLS.  I thought I needed velcro
to keep my jaw shut.
Another nnoteworthy, but cute and odd sight was a Downy Wdpkr at a hummer's
feeder. Total woodpecker
sps at 5, if I get sapsucker then it'll be 6.  Scott also tells me  there's a
merlin in the area, too, which I'm anxious
to find.  Then finally off-topic, the fishing's been great so far.  8 to 9 inch
bluegill have been caught, just on
spinners, plus 2 legal-sized Lm bass, and  1 non-legal northern.  Reporting
from the Iron River area,
    Paul Bruce, having such a splendid time !!!