[wisb] FOY Milwaukee County

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 19:56:14 -0500

After reading Karen Johnson's Seminary Woods report earlier, I was
determined to find a Fox Sparrow.
I first visited Wehr Nature Center, thinking that it would be warmer out
west. Not by much. The wind blows the chill from the ice on the lake right
onto you. It's not pleasant (I experienced the same awful chill at Humboldt
Park earlier). I didn't see any new migrants there.

Then, I went back near home and walked around the field behind the south
edge of Seminary Woods (you can park by the Cousins Center/soccer field).
Numerous Eastern Phoebes were flitting around. A conservative estimate is
six. One of them caught a bug, so it was nice to see they could find food.

I heard an Eastern Bluebird. Other birds of note were our winter finches,
the tree sparrow and junco.

Afterwards, I went to the other field that is accessible from the corner of
Packard and Lake Dr. There is no signage or parking (well, except for a
short strip of gravel). This is the spot where Steve Lubahn found a
White-eyed Vireo in the fall. It's a neat little spot.

There, I found my Fox Sparrows, heard an Eastern Meadowlark, and saw/heard
many other common birds. Lots of juncos were trilling. RWBBS, robins,
chickadees were active.

I have a feeling woodcocks might be around there, too, but I was not going
back out to freeze some more after sunset! I hope the early arrival
shorebirds persevere...

Some decent pics of the Fox Sparrow, others, at the link:

http://birdspazz.blogspot.com/

--
Jennifer Ambrose
Bayview, Milwaukee County