[wisb] Dane and Columbia counties today

  • From: Sandy Rueckert <sandyrueckert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Apple Inc." <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 19:05:14 -0500

I had a rare and fun day of birding today. It began with walking the dogs at
Indian Lake-bluebirds were everywhere
Checking out the bluebird houses. A rough legged hawk flew overhead, and 18
Sandhills graced the mudflats.
Places I checked later included Schumacher Road, highway V, Whalen grade, DM
ponds, Hwy 60@51 pond, and Goose Pond. Most of the ducks I saw where found on
the field trip last weekend, but here are the highlights:
1. A flicker and snowy owl at goose pond.
2. Tundra swans at several ponds.
3. Lots of white fronted geese at the Hwy 60 and 51 pond.
4. A beautiful marsh hawk soaring right over me on Schumacher Rd.
5. Mergansers (common and hooded) and Goldeneyes at Whalen Grade.
6. Lots of Canvasbacks and Redheads right next to each other for great
comparison.
7. Sandhills cranes everywhere!
Disappointments: could not find loons or Pintails.
Sandy Rueckert
Dane County
Middleton

Sent from my iPhone####################