[wisb] Early junco! and Whooping Crane training (Green Lake Co.)

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:05:46 -0500

As some of you may know, I have had the good fortune to be able to work with
the Operation Migration Whooping Cranes this year at their training site at
White River Marsh.  Last year they were also here, and I served as the
coordinator for the blind tours -- scheduling people for visits to the blind
to view the training activities with an "ultralight" aircraft.  This year
Doug Pellerin has taken over the coordinator responsibilities, but I still
help him in leading tours.

Last year there were two "interns" who were working with the ten cranes (in
their white costumes), but this year they only were able to get six birds
for training -- and only one intern was hired by Operation Migration.  OM
asked Doug and me if we'd be willing to volunteer to help work with the
birds this year, and of course we were delighted.  It is a big
responsibility and honor to be able to work intimately with the rarest
cranes in the world!

Anyway, for the past week or so, when I have been there walking to the pen
site, I have seen a sparrow-type bird with white outer tail feathers hopping
ahead of me along the gravel roadway, and then flushing as we approached.  I
was never able to get a good look at it, since at that point I am always
wearing the white costume and am hooded, with a shaded/reflective face
shield (Mylar) to hide my face.  Yesterday, however, I was finally able to
lift my hood enough to get a good look at the bird I had seen previously,
and was quite surprised to see that it was a Dark-eyed Junco!  Previously I
had assumed that it was probably a Vesper Sparrow, but I never had a very
good look -- but I was suspicious, since it seemed like this bird had more
white showing on the tail edges in flight.

By the way, if you are interesting in coming for a blind tour sometime,
please contact Doug Pellerin to set up a date -- which happens pretty much
daily, weather permitting.  Arrival is currently about 6:00 AM, and the
tours generally end by 8:00 or 8:30.  About 30-45 minutes of this time is
spent in the blind, observing the flight training.  Doug's email is:
pelican0711@xxxxxxxxx   This training will continue until they depart for
migration, around mid October.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.