[wisb] Early chickadee nest

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:57:10 -0500

Last weekend I was looking out my back window and spotted the chickadees
going into my Peterson box.
Not that unusual as the are very curious birds and their behavior never
means they'll nest.
Well this aft I was out back filling my feeders and decided to look inside
the box and was surprised to see a complete nest AND lined with rabbit fur.
(I assume I have a bunny running around with a major bald spot!)  :-)
Checking my records for my trails I never even found a chickadee nest
started before the last week of April.
The other 2 or 3 times chickadees nested in my yard it was May and they
fledged in June.
Must be something in the water around here. A BB nest with eggs on Mar. 3
and now this.
Finally some warmer weather here. So maybe some egg laying will begin. And
nest building too!
This morning I opened my boxes at Evansville Golf Course and one box wasn't
even open 5 minutes and I saw a Tree Swallow inside looking out!!
Man they must have been waiting for me to get there.

Keep thinking spring!!

Patrick Ready
Stoughton
Dane Co