[wisb] Duluth Broad-winged Hawks and today's raptor numbers (St. Louis Co, MN)

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:02:54 -0500

Here is a link to today's raptor count atop Duluth. It was a gorgeous day,
many wonderful friends came to hang out and help count throughout the
afternoon hours, and diversity was spectacular! One of the biggest
highlights for me, from today, was seeing BROAD-WINGED HAWKS :) They are so
beautiful, and so petite & pointy-winged for a buteo. I love the
black-and-white barred tails on the adults. It's very humbling to think that
these beautiful birds overwinter in Chile, Argentina and Brazil for their
preferred habitat in the winter, then (in addition to making the trek down
there for the fall/winter), are just arriving back up here to breed!
https://www.hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=543&ryear=2011&rmonth=04&rday=12

I got some photos of a local adult Peregrine Falcon, Red-tailed Hawks, and
Broad-winged Hawks today, however those will come a little later...

Good birdwatching & happy hawkwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--