[wisb] Dodge County today (and a little of Fond du Lac County)

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 18:18:44 -0500

I started in the Lowell-Leipzig area and saw 3 Greater White-fronted Geese
from York Rd. There were many Red-winged Blackbirds
and FOY (for new members- FOY means personal first of year sighting)
Brown-headed Cowbirds, several Sandhill Cranes, American Robins, and an
adult Bald Eagle.

In the Jersey-CTH A area I added 2 more Greater White-fronted Geese, an
American Kestrel and 4 FOY Common Grackles. At least 40 Red-winged
Blackbirds were here also.

At Horicon Marsh, as Rob Zimmer noted, the birds were assembled on the ice:
the ponds are still frozen. I estimated 1500 Canada Geese along STH49 and
saw 39 Greater White-fronted Geese. On the south side of STH49 there were 3
Trumpeter Swans (FOY) and  2 Northern Pintails. Raptors in the marsh
included 2 Rough-legged Hawks, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, and a Bald Eagle. Along
Ledge Road there was a Northern Shrike.

On the way home, south of Hustisford I saw my FOY Killdeer on CTH R, and
near the Dodge Co., Washington County border a Turkey Vulture(FOY) was
soaring. I saw another further east in Washington County.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County