[wisb] Dodge Co., S. Grove Rd., UPLAND SANDPIPER

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 20:44:43 -0500

This evening at about 6:15 I found 1 UPLAND SANDPIPER towards the dead end
on S. Grove Rd. For several years I have felt the expansive, open fields
out there might attract upland when planted in hay not corn. There are huge
hay fields there this year and they were harvested recently offering good
habitat for what I assume was a migrating upland. As I was driving slowly I
saw 2 birds way out toward the far side of the field. I got the scope on
the first, it was a robin. Scope on the second, a kestrel on the ground
with prey. I then noticed a third bird about half the distance but still a
good ways out there. Got the scope on it and was thrilled to see it was an
upland sandpiper. It was feeding and moving slowly in my general direction.
Then it flew west and landed closer to the road. I drove over and parked
there and had much better viewing. I enjoyed this bird foraging and
preening for about an hour. Then for the last 20 minutes or so it kind of
hunkered down and looked like it was just resting. I finally left about
7:45. I have pictures of the bird.
Dave Schrab
Dodge Co.