[wisb] Dodge Co. & Horicon today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 22:22:22 -0500

I checked the Breezy Point/Jersey Rd. area this morning on my way up to
Oshkosh.  Had the two Black-necked Stilts that Mike saw at Jersey and A, but
missed the third one.  There were a few Lesser Yellowlegs farther north on
Jersey, and a lot of Bonaparte's Gulls in the flooded field north of Mr. Bird's
house.  I checked for Franklin's, but the ones that looked bigger were just
Boni's sitting up higher on dirt clods.

As I was heading east on Hwy 49 towards Horicon Marsh, I saw a big flock of
birds circling high above the Auto Loop, so I pulled into the main parking lot
to confirm that they were about 50 Am. White Pelicans, riding thermals.  A
half-dozen DC Cormorants flew by below them.  Nothing too exciting along 49.  I
was heading back west on N. Point Rd. towards the Bud Cook Hiking Area.  As I
came down the hill from County Z, I could see a tom Turkey displaying out on
the Old Marsh Rd.  There must have been some hens I couldn't see in the woods,
unless he was just practicing...

Late this afternoon, on my way back from Oshkosh, I went to Horicon Marsh
again.  Towards the end of the Auto Loop, in the large impoundment south of Hwy
49, the two Trumpeter Swans are building a nest.  I noticed a Yellow-headed
Blackbird sitting near them, then noticed more scattered around, and started to
hear them.  Lots of Redheads along 49, especially on the north side.

The rain let up, so I decided to drive out on the now-open Dike Rd.  Had a
flyover pair of No. Harriers just past the gate, and a few Rusty Blackbirds
along the wooded ditch.  Lots of Coot, Tree Swallows, and Ring-necked Ducks on
(or over) the big impoundment to the north, along with a nice selection of
other ducks.  Out on the dike, there seemed to be a pair of Coots every 20
yards.  I flushed an American Bittern a couple of times as I came back east.
I thought I heard a Sora once, but the Red-wings were doing a wide variety of
odd calls, so I didn't mark it down.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI