[wisb] Disappointed Downy

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:27:27 -0500

This morning, I heard a persistent tapping from the front yard.  When I looked
out, a Downy Woodpecker was industriously enlarging the hole of a wren house
I'd been tardy in taking down.  I ran the offender off and took the house down,
muttering.  Just now, I heard a peeved "peek" series.  Looked out in the same
crabapple tree to see likely the same Downy sitting on a branch, looking all
around for the missing wren house.  Sorry, bird - you'll have to find another
place to roost tonight.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.