[wisb] Devil's Lake Townsend's Solitaire-NO

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:59:16 -0600

Just wanted to let folks know about two things re: Devil's Lake SP in Sauk Co.
#1-I visited yesterday and despite the calm conditions didn't hear or see the
Townsend's Solitaires #2-The ascent via Potholes Trail is extremely icy and
dangerous!  I just barely made it up there and was forced to take the CCC Trail
back down (more gradual trail).  Even on the CCC trail I had to make a "Human
Sled" twice and simply let myself slide down safely.  Yikes!  I would recommend
cramp-ons for the shoes of anyone trying the walk.
Decent birds seen were Pileated (or "Pilates" for some of you!) Woodpecker,
Bald Eagle, & Tufted Titmice.
Andrea Szymczak
Waukesha, WI