[wisb] Re: Dead woodpecker question

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: karen.etter.hale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, melissa.lindstrum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

Window kill?  I had one take on an unusual window here and she  sat with
wings open to get her bearings or balance. It was after a near-catch by  a
Cooper's Hawk, but I happened to be outside and took her to a  safe spot to
recover.  It's possible that the collision was such  that Melissa's bird took
too much damage to the chest or head..  This is a  particularly active window
collision season, especially with the newcomers  passing through.  Never
too late to apply window tape (as  sold at the Humane Society and the better
wildlife stores in Milwaukee for  instance) to our uber-reflective, confusing
and deadly glass.
Betsy Abert, So. Milwaukee

Betsy Abert
Acorn Landscape  Design
414-531-9249
betsyacorn@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/17/2014 4:40:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
karen.etter.hale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello  Wisbirders,
Melissa contacted us with an interesting question that I hope  some of
you will have some insight on. Please contact Melissa directly  (and/or
all of us) at melissa.lindstrum@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:melissa.lindstrum@xxxxxxxxx>

***
My sister found a  dead woodpecker in her yard in Milwaukee this week.
Its wings were spread  out, almost like it had been sunbathing. Never
seen a dead bird in this  position before. Any particular reason for it?
Thanks for any  input!
***

Thanks, as always,
Karen
--
Karen Etter  Hale

Chair, Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative

Citizen  Science Coordinator, Madison Audubon Society

NEW: 1400 E. Washington,  Suite 170

Madison, WI 53703

608/255-BIRD (2473) x  222

NEW: Karen.Etter.Hale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OLD:  masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx>

*/
Great  Wisconsin Birdathon 2014
/* Give to the */Finch Gang/
<http://www.wibirdathon.org/nrfw/teampage.asp?fundid=1904> *- or  else.

/You've been  warned/...

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use  the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Visit  Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:  //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn